State of Delaware - Search and Services/Information

State of Delaware - The Official Website of the First State State of Delaware - The Official Website of the First State
Services and Information


What is absentee voting?

  • The way a person who cannot go to a Polling Place on Election Day can vote.
  • A person can vote absentee by mail or at the Department's office.

Who can vote by absentee ballot?

A person who:

  • Is a United States citizen;
  • Is a Delaware citizen;
  • Lives in the school district where the election is being held;
  • Is at least 18 years old;
  • Completes and signs an absentee affidavit; and
  • Cannot vote on Election Day because of a reason on the affidavit.

What are the deadlines?

  • Return the affidavit 4 days before the election if you want your ballot mailed to you.
  • You can vote in our office before 12 Noon the day before the election.
  • Return the voted ballot to our office before 8 p.m. on Election Day.

How can I get an absentee affidavit?

  • Print the one you need from the links below;
  • Email or call the Department ((302) 856-5367) and ask us to send one to you; or
  • Pick one up at the Department

School Board Elections

School Board Election May 8, 2018 Affidavits

May 8, 2018 Indian River School Dist 3 SB Affidavit

May 8, 2018 Indian River School Dist 5 SB Affidavit

May 8, 2018 Woodbridge School District SB Affidavit

School Board Seats Up For Elections


School Board seats up for Eletion


School Referenda

March 20, 2018 Cape Henlopen Referendum Affidavit

March 20, 2018 Cape Referendum Sample Ballot



Will you mail an absentee ballot to me?

Yes, if:

  • The Department gets your affidavit at least 4 days before the election;
  • Your affidavit is filled out and signed by you; and
  • You are eligible to vote in the election.

Can I vote at your office?

Yes, if you:

  • Come to the Department between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. on normal business days, or before 12 Noon the day before the election.
  • Bring a government issued photo ID - Drivers license, State ID card, Passport, etc.

How do I return my voted ballot?

  • Mail it to the Department;
  • Take it to the Department; or
  • Have someone take it to the Department for you.

What if I have a problem?

  • Call, email or FAX the Department;
  • Come to the Department before 12 Noon the day before the election.

How can I contact the Department?

  • Call us at (302) 856-5367;
  • Email us;
  • Send a FAX to (302) 856-5082; or
  • Write or visit the Department:

    Department of Elections Sussex County Office
    GEORGETOWN DE. 19947


How do I find out if you counted my ballot?

  • Call, e-mail or fax the Department;
  • Stop by the office; or
  • Write to the Department.